For the past couple years, okay maybe a little more, we have been a co-sleeping family. Now, before you start frowning or mumbling judgments just wait. Like everything else, what works for some doesn't work for others. We as parents don't feel there is anything wrong with this method. In fact, there are lots of cultures that encourage this and think it strange not to. However, Michael and I have now come to an understanding that it is time to really enforce a bedtime routine that encourages Daniel to sleep in his big boy bed. For me, this is just another step, like potty training. We don't want Daniel to resent a new baby for this change so we're starting now before getting pregnant. I know we're sounding like complete wimps as parents, but I feel that's very much the opposite. Now I've always known that a routine of some kind is very important for a child. In the past we would have one for about a week then it would trickle off. Then try again and again, but not consistently.
Well, the past four weeks we have stuck to a pretty strict routine. So much so, I've actually missed out on some extracurricular activities for the greater good! LOL I already knew I wouldn't be able to handle the "cry it out method" (CIO). My good friend Candi is a rock when it comes to CIO! I totally admire her in a lot of ways, especially her strength. She is an amazing mother, wife and friend...but those ramblings are for another day. Instead, I decided to take the Super Nanny approach. If he gets out of bed simply place him back in bed then walk away without any conversation. Not a word. None. Zilch. The first night was absolute TORTURE! Nearly three hours later I wanted to crumple on the floor in sheer exhaustion and tears, the next night I wasn't as strong. My tears broke, but held fast to our routine. Daniel cried when we reached each step, even while saying his bedtime prayers. Several days in I thought surely he'll give in and realize we're not giving up. I can't even imagine what our poor neighbors thought. It wouldn't have surprised me one bit if we had a visit from the police. Luckily we didn't. I will say this about my son, his willpower is made of steel! But Michael would probably say Daniel just inherited my stubbornness. But whatever...
Now here we are four weeks later and breezing through our nightly routine. He is so much more compliant with each step. Although he doesn't look forward to bedtime, mommy is no longer dreading it! I'm sure some of you are thinking four weeks is too long, like this post. But remember back when I mentioned his inherited stubbornness...I mean willpower? He absolutely loves storytime and has in fact memorized the stories we read each night. In fact occasionally he will "read" one or two to us. I will try to get that on video soon. And I will admit I did compromise a little in his bedtime routine by adding a time to sing one song. I know it's just one more delay tactic he concocted but it really is adorable. Did you know that Old McDonald also had a dinosaur and a big bad wolf?
But the one thing that I look forward to the most is prayer time. We always ask Daniel first if has anything he would like to pray for and he always says no. So Michael will pray first, then me. Daniel then decides he does in fact want to pray. Sometimes you can't understand him because he starts crying, realizing once he says amen it's lights out. Most of the time he just recites what he calls his "food prayer". But sometimes he asks me to help him. I keep it short and simple. Tonight he took over half way through and started thanking God for random things. But then again why shouldn't we thank God for chocolate milk?
...and thank you God for Your son and mine!


1 comment:
So sweet. That's right thank God for chocolate milk. I drink it everyday for breakfast.
Post a Comment